The founder and the man who guided the destiny of the Morgan car for almost fifty years, Henry Fredrick Stanley Morgan was born in the village of Moreton Jeffries, Herefordshire, in August 1881. His father was the Reverend Prebendary H. G. Morgan, Curate at the church in the nearby village of Stoke Lacy (where Henry Morgan, George’s father was Rector). Harry as he was known to family and personal friends (or simply ’H.F.S.’ throughout the industry), was educated at Stone House, a school in Broadstairs, Kent, Marlborough College, Wiltshire and the School of Practical Engineering at the Crystal Palace in Sydenham, south London. Whilst at Crystal Palace he developed a passion for cycling and then changed his allegiance to the motor car. After a hair-raising first drive in a 3 h.p. Benz that ran away with him down the 1-in-6 gradient of a hill between Bromyard and Hereford, he emerged intact but considerably poorer. Damages to the car cost about £28 for repairs and delayed his ambition of owning his own car.